Sunday, February 25, 2007

Spring around the corner




The forecast for next 5 day said that the temperatures will be around 0 Celsius degrees so I decided on Friday-23 February- to go to visit my bees and to give them patties. Arrived to my beeyard by 2 PM. The outside temperature was 14 Celsius degrees. First look to my hives.
The bees from all the hives, except one, flying. Coming back with load of pollen. I realized that somebody check 2 hive before me. The covers were removed and not put back in place properly. I was real happy anyway. Light a cigarette and watch them. It was a pleasure to t see them in hurry with pollen and perhaps a little bit of nectar. Star dreaming of future harvest. Stop. Check the hives.
As you can see in the photo they are ok. I did not check the dead hive. A think is sure they have plenty of food. I’ll check it next time.
I’ll start feeding from 1 March with sugar syrup 2 times a week. I think that the build up will be faster and the colonies will be ready for acacia flow.
Only one problem: I hope the winter will not come back.
About Romanian beekeeping. As probably you know from the first of January this year Romania joint EU. A lot of misconceptions. It’s not permitted to sell honey here and there. The extraction room must be so and so… The Agricultural Minister will fix the rules till July this year. I hope that the rules will be ok.

1 comment:

Ngaio said...

Hello George
I am a new beekeeper living in New Zealand, a long way from you !! I enjoy reading your blog and I agree with you about climate change, we all do need to wake up and make changes.I have a blog also, you might like to check it out, it is ...
http://miro-ngaio.blogspot.com/

Cheers
Marcia